Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscars, anyone?

Do you watch the Oscars loyally? Are you new to the Oscar-watching world? Do you watch to see what the stars are wearing, then ignore the jokes & awards? Or, do you avoid them altogether?

I used to watch the Oscars to see who showed up, what they were wearing, and how they looked different from the year before. Then, in '97, when I moved to Point Mugu, California, I was dating a guy who invited me up to San Francisco for an Oscar Party.

An Oscar Party? What is that? Well, I was soon to find out. Two of his uncles lived in S.F. One lived in a gorgeous house with his long-term g/f. The guy & I referred to them as D&K. The other uncle is gay and flamboyant and VERYINTOOSCARNIGHT. He, incidentally, was most likely the reason for the Oscar Party. We had wine and food. Games for which participation was MANDATORY, even if you didn't know SQUAT about the Oscars or the film world (me). Guesses had to be made in EACH listed category, whether or not you knew anything about the film world.

Surprisingly, the night was freaking hilariously fun. I enjoyed every minute of it, although I got most everything wrong. The point was participation for me ... everyone else was severely criticized when they made a wrong decision. *Laughs* It was funny watching them get all serious and frowny and angry over a freaking nomination and selection.

I am still not passionate about film or the Oscars. I am far less critical of films than most people, because I figure that I couldn't do the things the actors, directors, writers, composers, and most of the behind-the-scenes-guys/gals do .... so why should I be critical? I'm easily amused, and I enjoy most movies that I watch (though of course as a hopeless romantic I prefer to watch romances & dramas). Very few movies receive a thumbs down from me (I HATED Wrong Turn ... there are more, but that one is always the one I think of).

So anyway. I'm watching the Oscars. I figure it can't hurt me, but I might see some amusing things. Plus, although I am no longer in close contact with A (the guy that introduced me to Oscar World), watching brings forth beautiful memories.


Your thoughts, experiences, and stories welcome!

No comments: