Monday, February 25, 2008

The Moment of Truth & miscellaneous other new gameshows ...

Edit: So ... she gets all the way through some really TOUGH questions ... and then f's it up on "Do you think you're a good person?" SERIOUSLY? If you don't think so, say it. You already told your parents you don't think they're really proud of you, and that's a MUCH harder thing to do. Lost 100k cuz you don't know yourself. How crappy.

Original post:

Do any of you watch game shows?

I honestly would be missing out on a lot if it weren't for my roommates and their affinity for game shows. I usually wouldn't watch them on my own, but because they love them, I have been getting into them over the last year.

The first ones we watched were Deal or No Deal and .... hmmm ... some other one I don't remember. Those, I could give up easily (we obviously have given the one up). I like DoND, but not enough to watch it so often in a week. Once a week would be ok, but then you end up missing half of someone's game at some point. Annoying not to know how it started or how it ended.

Now we're also watching Don't Forget the Lyrics, 1 vs 100, American Gladiators, Amne$ia, My Dad is Better than Your Dad, and the Moment of Truth.

Tonight, in the previews for "Moment of Truth," they are advertising how the woman playing "ruined her marriage" and kept secrets about her dad from her mom, etc etc etc. Can it really be possible that she would do such a thing? Reveal an affair during a game show? Keep secrets about her dad that would hurt her mom and reveal THAT on a game show? Seriously? Wouldn't the answer to those questions be "NO"???? I mean ... why would you enter a game show called "Moment of Truth" and reveal scandalous things on national TV? Jeez.

I think what I like about my regular tv shows is that while some of the stories may be based on true stories ... most of them are EXTREMELY dramatized versions of the truth, so I can feel comfortable watching them. When I see previews like the ones tonight (we DVR'd it and are getting ready to start the episode now), I get worried that I am going to watch an actual person's life begin to crumble. I don't want to see that! Holy cow, there is enough pain and suffering in this world without bringing it upon ourselves on national TV!

That being said, I love watching Don't Forget the Lyrics and 1vs100. In the words of a very good friend, "They make me happy."

*disclaimer* While the above show bothers me for some reason ... I love reality-type shows like the Bachelor, Beauty & the Geek, and the Biggest Loser, & Big Brother. I don't know why I see these as different ... I guess that is just one more way in which I am not going to make sense!

Your views?

2 comments:

Beav said...

I've never watched that show. I also have no desire to watch someone throw their life in the toilet for a game show. I just don't get it. I mean, whatever happened to answering trivia questions? Where are the "most popular answer" type games? Now, it's "What can you possibly say to make your own life a living hell?"

Personally, the best game show I ever saw was called "Grand Slam." It was a single-elimination tournament of the highest money winners from a bunch of other game shows. Head-to-head questioning...insanely awesome (and Dennis Miller).

Devyl Gyrl said...

Power of 10 - that's the one I was tryin to think of when i posted this blog entry *L*

And, I can't believe people put themselves through that, either. I watch though ... I just can't help it.